The Queensland Police Legacy Scheme assists the eligible* dependent families of deceased sworn Queensland Police Officers, the dependent families of Queensland Police Officers whose spouse has died and the families of serving Queensland Police Officers with a parent suffering a terminal illness.
Queensland Police Legacy is currently supporting 49 families:
– 32 families of deceased Queensland police officers
– 10 families of serving officers whose spouse has died
– 7 families of serving officers where a parent is suffering a terminal illness.
Police Legacy is meeting the educational expenses of 85 dependent children:
– 10 legatees are studying at University
– 2 legatees are studying at TAFE
– 2 legatees are taking a gap year with the intention of continuing their studies next year
– 35 legatees are in Secondary schooling
– 31 legatees are in Primary School or Prep
– 5 legatees are under school age
Queensland Police Legacy’s commitment to these eligible families is long-term and on-going.
Queensland Police Legacy also assists the PALS Group and QPLSWA (membership of these groups is made up of widow/ers whose families formerly received financial assistance from the QPLS).
– Social functions
– Personal security alarm systems
*Families remain eligible to receive assistance until the dependent children complete their education, or the surviving parent remarries or the surviving parent has been in a de facto relationship that has endured for a period of more than 2 years.